The Four Seasons
The Four Seasons
"Something of a phenomenon." -- The Strad
Drawing from two sides of the musical spectrum--Tango and Baroque--comes Lara St. John's newest recording, featuring the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and Eduardo Marturet. The disc features Vivaldi's seminal work, the Four Seasons, which is the top-selling classical work of all time, paired with The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires, Astor Piazzola's tribute to Vivaldi. There is tremendous interest in this orchestra, and this is the first time it has recorded with the Ancalagon label following successful recordings with the Deutsche Grammophon label.
This stunning recording features the extraordinary violinist Lara St. John. She and the musicians of the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra give an inspired performance under the baton of Eduardo Marturet.
José Antonio Abreu,
the founder of El Sistema
1. CONCERTO NO. 1 IN E MAJOR, RV 269 "SPRING". ALLEGRO(3:18)
2. CONCERTO NO. 1 IN E MAJOR, RV 269 "SPRING". LARGO(2:37)
3. CONCERTO NO. 1 IN E MAJOR, RV 269 "SPRING". ALLEGRO(3:50)
4. CONCERTO NO. 2 IN G MINOR, RV 315 "SUMMER". ALLEGRO NON MOLTO - ALLEGRO(5:16)
5. CONCERTO NO. 2 IN G MINOR, RV 315 "SUMMER". ADAGIO - PRESTO(1:50)
6. CONCERTO NO. 2 IN G MINOR, RV 315 "SUMMER". PRESTO(2:44)
7. CONCERTO NO. 3 in F MAJOR, RV 293 "AUTUMN". ALLEGRO ASSAI(5:12)
8. CONCERTO NO. 3 in F MAJOR, RV 293 "AUTUMN". ADAGIO MOLTO(1:58)
9. CONCERTO NO. 3 in F MAJOR, RV 293 "AUTUMN". ALLEGRO(3:19)
10. CONCERTO NO. 4 in F MINOR, RV 297 "WINTER". ALLEGRO NON MOLTO(3:55)
11. CONCERTO NO. 4 in F MINOR, RV 297 "WINTER". LARGO(1:39)
12. CONCERTO NO. 4 in F MINOR, RV 297 "WINTER". ALLEGRO - LENTO - ALLEGRO(3:23)
CUATRO ESTACIÓNES PORTEÑAS (THE FOUR SEASONS), TANGO CYCLE
13. OTOÑO PORTEÑO 'AUTUMN'(7:17)
14. INVIERNO PORTEÑO 'WINTER'(6:38)
15. PRIMAVERA PORTEÑA 'SPRING'(5:16)
16. VERANO PORTEÑO 'SUMMER'(5:57)
Music and Vision, January, 2010
Marturet, who also led the Bolivar Orchestra of his native Venezuela on a sizzling recording released in April of the Vivaldi and Piazzolla Four Seasons with star Canadian fiddler Lara St. John.
Miami Herald, December, 2009
"I can imagine no suaver, more atmospheric performance. A sultry atmosphere pervades this reading that feels just right."
American record Guide, July/August, 2009
"Very few recordings contain that convincing nuevo tango fusion of deep passion and raw emotional power that Piazzolla himself on bandoneón with his preferred quintet were able to convey."
MusicWeb International, June, 2009
"All this would be off-putting if she were just a beauty with adequate technique. But the thing is, Lara St. John really is a virtuoso."
Head Butler, May, 2009
Canada Watch Exclusive Arts and Culture Spotlight Interview with Lara
Canada Watch, April 13, 2009
"The Piazzolla is certainly one of the best things Lara St. John has ever recorded; she plays with unbridled passion and a kind of sexy ferociousness, and dips into interpretive effects more common to long ago violinists...swooping portamento, a beautifully weighty projection of the melodic line and a very high level of expressiveness, edge and passion maintained throughout the performance."
All Music.com, April 13, 2009
"Lara St. John is as captivating in the seductive scenes of the Piazzolla as she is crisp, caressing and colorful in Vivaldi's atmospheric paeans to nature."
Cleveland Plain Dealer, March 29, 2009
"Do we need another Four Seasons? With playing and sound like this, yes we do!"
Audiophile Audition, March 2009
"Gratefully, St. John continues to eschew the "standard" repertoire for her more creative whims, this brilliant Four Seasons pairing being a fine example."