A renowned violin soloist, the Met's contrabassonist, an Israeli rhythm section, & the world's most famous didgeridoo player present a virtuosic exploration of polka music!
This diverse group met in a New Jersey studio to record a polka album just for fun, and an idea that began as a joke quickly grew into an eccentric, virtuosic, and energetic exploration of folk, country, classical, and jazz. From the American Midwest to the mountains of Bohemia, Apolkalypse Now is the only album of 2009 that poses the question: "Would you like sauerkraut with that?"
Lara St. John's latest recording with the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and conductor Eduardo Marturet.
"Lara St. John is an extremely fine player who mixes quicksilver technique with gripping spontaneity to captivating effect." -- The Strad
"St. John continues to eschew the `standard' repertoire for her more creative whims, [her] brilliant Four Seasons pairing being a fine example." -- All About Jazz
1. APOLKALYSPE NOW(2:30)
2. BUDAPEST POLKA(1:40)
3. LIGHT AS A FEATHER POLKA(2:36)
4. AMERICAN POLKA(1:44)
5. CLARINET POLKA(2:25)
6. ANTA, ROMNYEJ, MURE ROULYA(2:56)
7. VICTORIA COMMONWEALTH POLKA(2:34)
9. LUDWIG VAN POLKA(4:28)
10. MEANWHILE, SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE...(2:22)
12. CELTIC KALKADUNGA POLKA(4:09)
13. CAIBOU SHUFFLE/JULIA ANN POLKA(2:13)
14. FLYING GYPSY POLKA(2:20)
15. KNIFE, FORK AND SPOON(2:37)
16. ALLEGRO A LA POLKA(4:20)
17. FOUR STING POLKANINI(2:51)
18. THE HORA! THE HORA!(3:56)
20. ARABER TANZ (BONUS TRACK) (4:01)